We can all agree that chicken and tuna salad sandwiches are pretty much perfect, right? They’re often packed with protein and veggies, nuts even, and squished between two slices of whole grain bread, they can be a pretty well balanced meal. However, they do have a downside. Chicken and tuna salad recipes usually call for a high amount of mayonnaise to keep everything together. Although mayo in small quantities isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it’s not great either.
Most mayos are extremely high in empty calories and fat content, as well as less than nutritional oils. Consuming mayo regularly, or even in larger quantities once in a blue moon, isn’t going to do your heart or cholesterol any favors. Thankfully, not all is lost and there are alternatives! A very easy to use alternative to mayonnaise is greek yogurt. Greek yogurts are high in protein and contain natural probiotics that in contrast to mayo, can actually help lower cholesterol. See below for our family favorite Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Recipe!
Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad
- 2 small chicken breasts (or 1 large one)
- 1 cup halved black olives
- ⅓ cup of chopped bacon
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 3 oz pesto
- ½ cup Shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Optional for Sandwich: Sliced whole wheat bread, tomatoes, and spinach
- Large saute pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Cut the raw chicken breasts into small cubes, toss in a large saute pan with olive oil and cook thoroughlyon medium heat. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine chicken and the remaining ingredients together until fully incorporated.
- Toast bread. First layer on spinach to protect the bottom slice from getting too soggy too quickly, add sliced tomatoes, add your desired amount of chicken salad, top off with remaining bread slice, and enjoy?
- Refrigerate leftovers and consume within the next 3 days.
- Try serving with mini toasts or crackers as a fun party spread!
- All these ingredients are exceptional to change depending on your preferences!