Autumn is officially here and it’s time to dive head first into mushroom season! Edible mushrooms are altogether as delicious as they are adorable and deserve every right to be a part of our daily diets. Although packed with vitamins and prebiotics that keep our brains buzzing and our gut ticking, mushrooms are often pushed aside as just a topping or minor addition to the main course, but we say it’s time to let them shine!
Edible mushrooms vary drastically in shape, flavor and aroma, but they all have rich, meaty textures that are excellent at absorbing other cooking additions, such as oils, stocks, and herbs. When given the spotlight, they can also be hearty and filling enough to be their own main course or side dish. Don’t believe us? Give our Mushroom and Zucchini Skillet Side a try!
Mushroom and Zucchini Skillet Side
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium sized zucchinis. Cut thinly into halves.
- 3 tbsp butter, divided.
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 8 0z (1 carton) portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced.
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 4 tbsp minced garlic
- Fresh or dried italian herbs of your choosing to taste. Ex basil, oregano.
- Parmesan cheese (garnish)
- In a large skillet pan, add all ingredients, and cook on medium heat.
- Stir frequently and add small amounts of additional chicken stock if mushrooms and zucchini begins to dry. They will be soft, but not soft, when fully cooked and be fragrant.
- Serve over pasta, on toast, or as a side dish with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and enjoy!